FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the minimum age for a commercial driver license (CDL)?
- A CDL may be issued to a person 19 years of age or older. However, drivers under the age of 21 are restricted to operating a commercial vehicle to within their resident state (Intrastate). Drivers 21 and older are eligible to driver Interstate (across state lines). Please note that some companies have different hiring ages based on their insurance and internal policies so you will want to contact a company you may be interested in and ask what is their minimum hiring age.
- What if I live out of state?
- Students may reside out of state. However, he/she must obtain a CDL permit prior to beginning class as this exam must be taken a DMV location is his/her resident state. The final exam (road test/skills test) may be performed in Tennessee upon completion of the course by a certified 3rd party examiner if Tennessee has reciprocity with the student’s resident state. Contact the school for additional information.
- What is a Medical Examiner Certificate (a.k.a. Medical Card/DOT Physical) and how do I obtain one?
- All commercial drivers (CDL holders) are required to meet certain medical requirements and have a valid Medical Examination Certificate. This certificate is kept on file with your license records at the DMV and you must keep a copy with you at all times while operating a commercial vehicle. Many physicians and walk-in clinics can perform the physical required (similar to a sports physical) and issue these certificates/cards. These cards do expire and must be renewed – the term of a cards expiry date is at the discretion of the issuing physician based on certain medical criteria but may not be valid beyond 24 months (2 years). The cost of a medical exam varies by provider and insurance coverage but typically costs between $50 and $90.
- You can check the National Registry of Medical Examiners to find a physician in your area at https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/national-registry-certified-medical-examiners-search .
- What if I have a disability or medical condition (i.e. hearing impairment, prosthesis, etc.)?
- There are federal regulations and exemptions regarding the medical qualifications for a commercial vehicle driver. You should direct any questions to the physician as he/she would be responsible for determining your qualifications and if an exemption would be warranted.
- What costs are not included with Tuition?
- You will be responsible for paying for your medical exam to obtain a Medical Examination Certificate (a.k.a. DOT Physical/Medical Card). Contact the provider you wish to perform the exam to determine the cost as it varies (typically ranges between $50 and $90).
- You will also be responsible for paying for your CDL Permit exam. This is a permit like any other where you study specific materials then take a written exam at the DMV to obtain a permit. This typically costs around $14.
- Once you have passed your CDL test, you will be required to pay the license fee to obtain your new license at the DMV. This typically costs around $70.
- What if I have a criminal record?
- A criminal record will restrict the companies you will be eligible to work for based on their individual hiring criteria and insurance but does not prohibit you from obtaining a CDL. We recommend contacting a company you may be interested in to determine your eligibility or to contact our office and we will be happy to give you the contact information for some companies we are aware of that may be a good fit for you. If you have a felony record or are on probation/parole, we strongly recommend you work with a company to obtain a “prehire” letter prior to starting class to ensure you will have employment upon graduation.
LOCKHART TRUCKING ACADEMY, LLC
A Commercial Truck Driving Training Facility
606 Briskin Lane
Lebanon, TN 37087
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR
Class A Courses BEGIN (Call for Availability)
- Monday, January 9, 2023
- Monday, January 16, 2023
- Monday, January 23, 2023
- Monday, January 30, 2023
- Monday, February 6, 2023
- Monday, February 13, 2023
- Monday, February 20, 2023
- Monday, February 27, 2023
- Monday, March 6, 2023
- Monday, March 13, 2023
- Monday, March 20, 2023
- Monday, March 27, 2023
We will be CLOSED on the following days:
- April 7th - Good Friday (Friday)
- May 29th - Memorial Day (Monday)
- July 4th - Independence Day (Tuesday)
- September 4th - Labor Day (Monday)
- November 23 & 24 - Thanksgiving (Thursday & Friday)
- December 25 - Christmas (Monday)
Preparation & Road Test for CDL Class A
- Classes are held Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST
- $5900 Tuition
- Up to 2 attempts to complete CDL A Road Test (please note tests are performed by external parties at their locations and are subject to their schedule of availability)
- Not Included:
- Fees for Permit Exam, MedicalCertificate, & License
All applicants will be drug tested. For restrictions, refund policies and other information please refer to our Catalog,
submit an email request,
or call us 615-965-2320.
No Credit Check
$2500 down - $285/ 12 months
$3000 down - $240/ 12 months
$3500 down - $200/ 12 months
**We also accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express & Discover**
$900 off if paid in full upfront - total discounted tuition $5000
Job placement assistance available -
Many companies offer tuition reimbursement programs!